Home | News Archive | Stateside Photos | First of May | The Palawan Experience | My 20th Birthday | A Debutante Ball | Christmas Break 1999-2000 | CPU Teatro, Sining, atbp. | Cattlerium '96 | Friends | Friends Page 2 | Annest of Annes | Road to Avonlea | Pacey's Pond | Pearl of Emilys | Links to Literature | Poetry | Contact Me

Pieces of Me
News Archive

May 1, 2002 - It's the first of May, which means a very special greeting to Tita Marj and Tito Manny on their 26th anniversary.
I bought The Shelters of Stone by Jean Auel!  You can't imagine how long I and a lot of other people have waited for this book, which is the fifth in the Earth's Children series.  There was a big display of them on a table at Borders, on the way to Joy's school.  The books were on sale at 30% off -- I saved seven dollars!  Hell, I would've paid full price, but it's nice to have the money for something else, like Jamba Juice.  I haven't read the whole thing yet.  It's been a busy week.  I try to sneak in a few chapters during lunch and before I sleep.  It's just about as long as The Plains of Passage (the fourth book, published in 1990).

April 29, 2002 - Mom's back!  She brought back some of our old videos for me and Joy and some smelly fish for everyone else.  Ew....why do they like it?

April 26, 2002 - Joy got me to do something today which I haven't done in a long time.  She had me dance -- hiphop, of all things!
To make up for some P.E. classes, Joy was to attend a hiphop dance class, and she invited me to go with her.  A guy named Arnel, who was part of the Culture Shock dance group, taught us some moves.  He taught us almost like an aerobics class with all of us crowding the room.  He went over the steps repeatedly until we had them down.  We were only there for an hour, though, so he couldn't teach us the choreography for the entire song.  During the last ten minutes, he had us divide into three groups so we could watch each other and see the whole effect.  Despite my being absolutely exhausted, I had a lot of fun.
By the way, Arnel's pretty easy on the eyes.  I think JP would really go for a guy like him -- cute and a good dancer.
After the workout, door prizes were given away.  Joy and I were hoping to win either a CSULB sweatshirt or the $50 cash.  We didn't win anything though.  Afterwards, we went to get some Jamba Juice and have lunch at Sbarro in Lakewood Mall.  Then we both went home and slept for five hours.

April 21, 2002 - Sorry I haven't been updating as often as I used to.  There isn't much to tell.  It's the same old cycle of school, work, and resting on weekends.  Here's a summary of the latest goings-on:
Mom and Dad left for Iloilo last week.  I think they're having a fun time seeing everyone and eating all their favorite foods -- mangoes, batchoy, watermelon, palabok, halo-halo....  Too bad they can only stay another week, though Dad may decide to stay a little longer.
I don't know if I remembered to mention that Edalynn's working at Jamba Juice.  She introduced me to their fruit smoothies.  Mmmmmm....delicious.  I prefer the "tropical" ones, especially with mangoes.
Joy's resigning from KMart.  She needs the time off to concentrate on school.  Finals are coming up and she has a lot of deadlines.
I'm getting more into gardening, though I actually have no clue about what I'm doing.  The wildflowers I planted in our front garden are growing nicely.  The sunflowers aren't doing as well.  The past couple of days, I planted some beans and some strawberry and tomato plants.  It'll be interesting to see whether we'll ever get to taste the fruits of all this labor.

April 17, 2002 - Happy birthday, Jenifel!
April 9, 2002 - Happy birthday, Mayra!

April 4, 2002 - Happy Birthday, Khayle!
April 3, 2002 - Jpe and I went to see The Lion King at the Pantages Theater in Hollywood.  The show was really good.  Not as spectacular as Beauty and the Beast was a few years back, but more difficult technically.  I'm especially impressed with the stampede and the scene where Mufasa's face is shown in the stars.  I guess since there were no surprises in the plot (it was very close to the movie), we had to be impressed with the costumes, makeup, and new songs. 
The actors weren't quite fully costumed.  Some of them handled puppets (Timon, Zazu), others had animal figures on top of their heads, so as not to hide their facial expressions.  It's really hard for me to describe.  Maybe if you see this trailer, you'll have an idea of what I'm talking about.  Watch this with your sound on:  The Lion King trailer.   
My favorite characters were Zazu, Timon, Pumbaa, the hyenas, and Scar.  Rafiki was okay, but she (Rafiki was played by a girl) rarely spoke English. 
I'm sorry I don't have pics of my own.  Photography wasn't allowed in the theater.  I wanted to have pictures taken in the lobby at least, but it was so jam-packed with people.
I heard an advertisement on the radio about open auditions for Les Misérables in Los Angeles.   If only I weighed fifty pounds less, I'd try out for the role of Eponine.  Oh well....

March 14, 2002 - Added a new page to my photo album.  This one's of our lunch at Salambao.  Click here to see it.

March 11, 2002 - I just finished a page of my photo album, featuring pictures of Joy going to the Winter Formal.  To see the photos, go to One Night With You.

March 9, 2002 - To celebrate Edalynn's birthday, we had lunch at Salambao, the Filipino restaurant where we gorged on crabs and shrimps (not me, of course), sausage, and a lot of other dishes I can't name.  Edalynn's shares her birthday with her little cousin Gic-Gic (Angelica) who turned five.  Gic and her three-year-old sister Erika were fascinated by the fish in the aquarium and kept asking me questions:  "Why are there bubbles?  Why does that fish have an orange head?  Why are the stones blue?  Why is there a plant?    What's that?"  They're two simply adorable little girls.
Then, we watched 40 Days and 40 Nights.  Nothing extraordinary but it was funny.  You know the story -- Josh Hartnett vows to be celibate for Lent and then everyone starts trying to make him break his vow.  I totally cracked up when two girls try to entice him into a threesome.  I was amazed at his willpower!  How could he resist two willing, French-kissing girls? 
I couldn't enjoy the movie completely though -- there was a couple making out right next to me.  I didn't know whether to feel uncomfortable or jealous. 

March 2, 2002 - Auntie Toto paid me $20 to help Elton finish his project.  I'm actually splitting the money with Jpe 'cause he did a lot of the work.  It was a pop-up book of a poem about someone listening to a fairy tell stories.  Man, Jpe and I would've loved to take over the whole thing, but it wouldn't be right.  We made Elton to all the drawing and the pasting.  We took care of the cutting because we were afraid he might poke someone.  He already wrote on his shirt with the permanent markers.  Elton used up all the glue so we had to make do with rice -- the Filipino way!

February 18, 2002 - My entire family was helping me with my Biology take-home quiz on the skeletal system. We debated over things like whether the end of the bone (was it the humerus?) was covered in epiphyseal or articular cartilage. Hehehe...two RNs in the family and we still can't agree on anything! I have to admit, though, that was the most fun I ever had taking a quiz. Why can't I take all of my tests at home?

February 17, 2002 - The entire day was devoted to getting Joy ready for the Winter Formal Dance. I'm sure you can imagine it -- the rush and the anticipation. Hair done at the salon, makeup at the mall (free makeover with the purchase of three products), jewelry.... The results were definitely worth it. Joy looked fabulous. I'll post pictures when they're developed.

February 16, 2002 - I added two more pages to my photo album -- pictures taken in CPU and recent photos of Mom's retirement parties.

February 15, 2002 - One of Thirdy's short stories was recently published in an online magazine. If you'd like to read it, click on this link:

February 14, 2002 - I was in the cafeteria going over my Biology notes when I looked up and saw a guy come in holding a bunch of balloons and a bouquet of flowers. He walked over to the the cafe and presented them to his girlfriend, who was working at the counter. What a nice way to start Valentine's Day.

February 6, 2002 - Added a few high school pictures to my photo album.

February 3, 2002 - Today was Superbowl Sunday, and we watched about half of the game. It looked like the Patriots were going to win no problem at half time, so we started watching other channels. But then when we tuned back in near the end, we suddenly found that the teams were tied. We caught the last moments when the Patriots managed a field goal to win the Superbowl 20-17.

February 1, 2002 - Last night, Mom just thrust a recipe at me and said, "I want to you to cook this for dinner tomorrow. Do you think you can do it?" It was a recipe for stir-fry beef and vegetables (red bell pepper and spinach). I went grocery shopping for some of the missing ingredients. I admit I cheated and bought pre-sliced beef. But it turned out pretty good. I think all those months watching the Food Network helped me out. I'm not as scared of knives as I used to be. I told everyone to stay out of the kitchen because their watching made me nervous. Also, I didn't want to bump into anyone while I had a knife in my hand or if I needed to run to the refrigerator for something. Anyways, everyone seemed to like the dish -- I know I did -- so I'll probably be cooking dinner once a week. Now Mom and Joy are searching for interesting recipes they want me to try.

January 31, 2002 - I got an A on my second Biology quiz. Hey, I'm on a roll!

January 30, 2001 - After school, Joy and I had our nails done. I like having acrylic nails -- they're much stronger than my natural nails. Plus, my nails are a lot prettier when they're longer and the ends aren't ragged from my teeth.

January 24, 2002 - I got my grades today! Four A's and one B, a GPA of 3.76. Not only that, I found out I got an A in my first Biology quiz. I find that encouraging, don't you?

January 22, 2002 - Had my first Biology quiz today (if you can call a 50-item test a quiz). I thought I aced it, but then I realized I made a couple of stupid mistakes. I'll find out my score on Thursday. Unfortunately, we're moving from the Anatomy/Physiology chapter to the Chemistry chapter. The teacher showed us a video of Chemistry basics, but it was all I could do to keep from falling asleep. I still can't figure out all those chemical processes and covalent bonds and hydroxides and whatnot. I should've learned all this in high school. I think I did a lot of guessing back then.

January 20, 2002 - We went to another soccer game today. Mom and Grandma Erding even came with us. It was so exciting! It was a close game. At first we were in the lead, then we tied, then the other team took the lead, then we tied....it went on like that until the game ended and we lost 5-4. Still, that was the best game ever for Jpe's team. And I'm proud of Jpe -- he scored TWO of those goals! Our family was cheering very loudly for him. Every time Jpe scored a goal, Joy and I would yell, "Yeah! Yeah! That's our cousin!"

January 18, 2002 - Happy Birthday, Lala! Hope it was a good one.

January 10, 2002 - I've spent a lot of time this past week updating and adding to my photo album. There are a couple of new pages and more photos on several of the old pages. Hope you can check the pictures out and let me know what you think. The link to my album is just below Joy's and my picture at the right. Soon to be added: "Disney on Ice" pictures.

January 8, 2002 - I bought a new bookshelf and a nightstand from KMart. Jpe helped me assemble them. Then I spent the entire night cleaning my room so it would be worthy of the furniture I bought out of my own wages.

January 7, 2002 - Happy Birthday, Dad! Happy Anniversary, Mom and Dad!

January 4, 2002 - The cousins took me and Joy out for the night. We wanted to go bowling or play pool. Unfortunately, no lanes or tables would be available for two hours. Instead we browsed around Lakewood Mall.
Then we got hungry so we went to Barrio Fiesta, a Filipino restaurant, where we ate nilagang baboy, lumpia, crispy pata, beefsteak w/ onions, and of course, rice. Manang Sheila and her husband Gary managed to join us halfway through the meal.
After that, we watched "The Lord of the Rings." The others hadn't seen it and Joy and I didn't mind seeing it again. And this time, we had much better seats. Sigh...the cousins didn't like the movie much. They all hated the ending that wasn't really an ending. Maybe we should've watched "A Beautiful Mind" instead.
By the time, the movie ended, it was almost two in the morning. Still, no one wanted to go home. Where else could we go but Denny's which is open 24 hours.
We drove around for a bit. Finally it was 3am and I was too tired to take anymore, so they drove us home -- through heavy fog. Oh well, it was a fun night. We had a lot of laughs. It's too bad we don't do the cousin thing more often. But then maybe they wouldn't be as special.

January 3, 2002 - Manang Ting-ting went back to Michigan today. I think she enjoyed her visit though.
Threw out our tree today. Probably going to take down the Christmas lights tomorrow. It's kind of sad that the Christmas season is over. Next major holiday to look forward to is Valentine's Day, according to the mall decor.

January 2, 2002 - I slept till 4pm. I woke up in time to pick Joy up from work and take her to the mall. I bought a Mary Jo Putney book (The Diabolical Baron -- her first novel) and Peanuts Treasury. So far, I especially like the part where Lucy buried Linus's blanket and he dug up the entire yard before Snoopy found it.
Our New Year's celebration was fun. The party was at Edalynn's house. Everyone was eating, talking, dancing.... There were less fireworks out on the street this year. I didn't even get to wave a sparkler.
Unfortunately, something went wrong as I was reloading the film in my camera. I won't be able to share any New year's party pictures with you unless my cousins can lend me some of theirs.

December 31, 2001 - Happy New Year! Okay, so it's about 22 hours till 2002, but I like to greet before I forget.
I've finally managed to post pictures from the Christmas party at the Hilton and the party at our house. I hope it doesn't take too long to download. To view the pix, either go to my photo album (link is below our picture at the right) or click on this link:

December 29, 2001 - This morning, we went to see Disney on Ice Jungle Adventures at the Arrowhead Pond in Anaheim. Unfortunately, we sort of got lost, so we missed the first part -- The Jungle Book. However, we did enjoy Tarzan and The Lion King. I hope the pictures I took of the skaters turned out well.
Manang Ting-ting arrived from Michigan today. She'll be staying here till after New Year's. It's great to see her again.
This afternoon, we went to a Christmas party of Mom's fellow alumni. We had a lot of fun -- eating, playing games, and singing Christmas carols. I'll post pictures soon, especially now that I have a scanner. The question is when I'll have the time to scan all the pictures and upload them to my photo album. Check here for updates.

December 25, 2001 - I've discovered that Christmas Eve is about greed while Christmas Day is about Jesus. We had a party at our house on Christmas Eve. I had a lot of fun preparing for it, but I was disappointed in the fact that my younger cousins just basically played video games till it was time to open gifts. And they couldn't even wait until midnight -- we opened the gifts at 10:30 p.m. Still, I did like the presents I got, and I enjoyed the reactions of my family as the opened the presents I gave them.
I received makeup and other cosmetic utensils, a phone card, and cash (means to buy phone cards).
I felt better Christmas Day though, when I went to church with my parents. Some Filipino carols were sung and Fr. Gordon, who is Chinese, even greeted the congregation "Maligayang Pasko."

December 24, 2001 - It's almost two in the morning and I can't sleep because I spent most of yesterday lazing in bed.
It's officially Christmas Eve! In a few hours, everyone will be awake and we'll be preparing for tonight's Christmas party. We'll clean the house, bake cookies, and set the buffet table with our honey-baked ham and other dishes. The adults will play mahjongg, while the rest of us will eat and try to keep our impatience to open presents in check.
By the way, I've added music (midis) to several pages of my site (Debut, First of May, Palawan, Cattlerium, Pacey, and Christmas). Hope you have speakers. =)
Happy listening and Happy Holidays!

December 19, 2001 - Joy and I watched "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring." I liked it a lot. I think it's better than Harry Potter. Maybe it's because I never read the LOTR book, so I have no biases or preconceptions.
I won't spoil the for any of you who hasn't seen it yet. All I can say is: Girls, keep an eye out for Legolas, played by Orlando Bloom (face featured in poster above).
I'm so close to finishing my Christmas shopping. Joy and I went around the mall, making a few last minute purchases.

December 18, 2001 - Dad and I attached Christmas lights to our roof. It was a lot harder than I thought it would be. I can't count the number of times I went up and down that ladder.
Almost every house on our street is using icicle lights, so our flashing multi-colored lights will stand out and add some color to the neighborhood. Still, it'll never compare to the lights of Pototan plaza. I wish I could see them again this year.

December 16, 2001 - Went to a Christmas party at the Hilton Hotel, near Universal Studios. It's parties like that which help stave off homesickness, with the entertainment and the majority of Filipino guests. There was even a display of native Filipino products for sale at ridiculously high prices. A beaded cell phone bag for $25, a necklace for $5, a man's vest for $200, a sequined parasol for $300... My mind was frantically converting dollars into pesos and coming up with gasps and exclamation points.

December 13, 2001 - I took my assessment test this morning. I need to enclose the results with my application to get into the Nursing program. The test covered English (Grammar, etc), Reading, Math (Algebra), and essay writing. I was worried about the math part because it's been years since I studied it. Anyways, I managed to meet the proficiency requirements for math, although I could use a refresher course. I know I did really well in English and Reading.
By the way, I found what must be the last blue lights in the city -- on sale no less! Our tree finally looks complete. I'll take more pictures. They should be posted by 2002.

December 12, 2001 - We finally have our tree -- a 7-foot Douglas fir. Yesterday, Dad and I worked to set it up in our living room. We had to saw off part of the trunk to remove the temporary stand. Oh well...cutting the bottom of the tree was part of the process anyway. We trimmed the lower branches off, inserted the tree trunk into the stand, poured water in the tree stand, swept up the stray needles from the floor, then stepped back to admire it. We finished decorating today. I think the tree's beautiful, although it could use more lights to brighten it up. I won't settle for clear ones though. It's blue or nothing more. I took a few pictures of the tree but it may be a while before the roll is used up and developed.
I've started exercising again. Every other day or so, I do aerobics to the video "Sweatin' to the Oldies 2." You know Richard Simmons, don't you? I figure if volume 3 worked for me in high school, maybe volume 2 can help me now. At least I'm moving around instead of just bumming on the couch.

December 6, 2001 - This is my last week of this semester. My last day is Saturday, day after tomorrow. As soon as I finish with that pencil drawing of fruit, I have my freedom. At least for a few weeks.
I've already registered for next semester's classes. I'll be taking Intro to Psychology, Human Biology, Child Development, Computer (Windows 98), and Medical Terminology. By the end of the semester in May 2002, I should know if I want to study Nursing.
Registering was so easy. I just did it over the phone and paid using Dad's credit card. It took -- what? -- 30 minutes? Easiest enrollment I've ever been through. I just have to wait for my registration form/receipt and parking permit to arrive via mail next week.
I'll also be waiting for my report card. The only grade I know for sure is Broadcasting. Since I got an A in that, I don't have to take the final exam. I think I did well in everything. The only one I'm worrying about is Film. I haven't exactly been keeping up with the discussion forum. I'll let you know.
I've been really excited about Christmas. If I'd had my way, I would've gotten a tree and everything last week. But I gotta wait for Mom and Joy and a time when our schedules are all free. Maybe tomorrow or Saturday afternoon. At the very latest Sunday. I don't wait to put it off much longer. All the good trees will be gone. Imagine...our very first real fresh Christmas tree. Already bought all the decorations. Picture this -- deep blue glass balls, blue lights, silver bows, silver beads, and a white angel dressed in silver and blue on top of the tree. I think it'll look beautiful by the time I have my artistic way with it!

November 29, 2001 - It's near the end of the Fall semester, and I have to start thinking of my plans for next semester. I'll be giving Nursing a try. If I don't do well in Human Biology and Medical Terminology classes, then I'll have to look for other options. It's worth a shot though, because I'll be assured of steady employment. I just don't know if that's what I want to do with the rest of my life.
It was raining hard today. And me without my umbrella....sigh....
I feel so cold right now. Joy tells me that this is nothing compared to February, which is the coldest month of the year. Brrrrr! I'm freezing already! How am I going to survive the winter? Just bought a pair of gloves tonight and a pair of boots last week. I stocked up on sweaters last month in preparation.
I've really been getting into the spirit of the holiday season. I'm looking forward to celebrating Christmas with my family. With a real tree, loads of gifts, candy canes.... =)
Anyways, early Christmas greetings to you.

November 22, 2001 - Happy Thanksgiving!
Oh...my feet are aching.... It's been a long day. It started off with most of us oversleeping and Joy being an hour late for work because no one woke her. Ouch. She must've slept through her alarm. Then she spent precious minutes looking for her uniform vest which turned up in a very unlikely place.
The rest of us, except for Dad, went to do some volunteer work at a convention center, where homeless people would be given lunch and free services. We were there from 9am - 2pm doing whatever we were assigned. Jpe and Robert first rooted through dumpsters for boxes and cans and then stomped on them to flatten them. Then they were assigned to help give away the free clothing. Mom stayed with her co-workers, who were giving free flu vaccine injections. Auntie Bebot and I stayed together for a while. First we were supposed to sweep up the hair from the free haircuts, but by the time the right-sized brooms were found, someone else had already taken over the task. We next spent a few minutes refilling coffee pitchers, but we weren't really needed for that. A bit later, we were assigned to help fill giveaway bags with toiletries (shampoo, soap, lotion, toothpaste). During the lunch hour, Auntie Bebot and I separated. She served food while I served beverages. I went around offering milk, coffee, juice, and water, making sure everyone had something to drink.
I didn't eat lunch. I could have but I didn't. Part of me felt resentment when I went around offering drinks and people would say impatiently, "I don't want a drink, I want my food! Where's the food!?" Plus, to be honest, some of the body odors from these homeless people made me lose my appetite. I decided to wait for the dinner at Auntie Nida's house.
After the lunch rush, I joined Mom outside. We saw nurses whose backs must've been aching from scrubbing people's feet. There were eye exams, check-ups....I watched Mom giving flu shots. I helped put together the syringes and assisted with some of the paperwork. When it was time to go home, Robert and Jpe took home a bunch of balloons simply to inhale the helium and have voices like the Chipmunks. Anyways, overall it was an interesting experience. I wouldn't mind volunteering next year.
I baked half a batch of chocolate chip cookies this afternoon. I've learned that baking a whole bag means leftover cookies for three days. I brought the cookies over to Auntie Nida's house. Dinner was buffet-style, as usual. It's much easier that way. There was turkey, honey-baked ham, mashed potates, gravy, yams, cranberry sauce, vegetables...and let's not forget brownies and the cookies for dessert. Mmmmmmmmmm.... No diets tonight!

November 21, 2001 - We watched "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" today! A great movie experience. Wood and Malfoy were cute. =) Joy liked it a lot, but not with the same enthusiasm as a real Harry Potter fan. I had to explain some points to her, like how the Sorceror's Stone got into Harry's pocket.
Seriously, though, the movie was very good and pretty faithful to the book. If you've read the book, you'll know what to expect. However, I'm a nit-picker and a perfectionist, so I was upset about minor details (Mr. Ollivander having Harry try only three wands instead of dozens), omitted scenes (no Peeves, no terrified trip to the Hut-On-The-Rock, no smuggling Norbert out of Hogwarts, no test of logic leading to walking through fire), bloopers (a backwards shot of Dudley's watch that was supposed to be upside-down), and/or deviations from the book (Quirrell wearing the turban in the Leaky Cauldron and seeming to know that shaking Harry's hand would cause him pain...and it didn't look like Harry felt any pain as he grabbed Quirrell's face). Also, Daniel Radcliffe could use a little improvement on his acting skills. I saw too much of Macaulay Culkin's style in him.
Actually, I found Draco Malfoy to be the most interesting character. I guess acting snobby and obnoxious gives an actor a wider range of emotions and possibilities. Isn't it funny, though, how the British accents make these kids sound older than they really are?
The best part of the movie was the Quidditch match and the overall visual impact. I like all the detail that went into it, like the decor, the live portraits...especially the magnificent Great Hall. I also like the touches of comedy throughout the movie.
Hard to believe the movie lasted two and a half hours. The time flew by so quickly, we were that absorbed in the movie. It really was good. Hope this doesn't spoil the movie for any of you who hasn't seen it yet. I wonder if it'll beat Titanic's box-office record...?

November 16, 2001 - Today is the premiere of the Harry Potter movie. Did I go see it? Unfortunately, no. But I will. I have a date...with my sister. =) We're planning to watch it Wednesday afternoon, in hopes of beating the evening/Thanksgiving crowd. Joy's even planning to wear her Hogwarts shirt in honor of the occasion.

November 11, 2001 - Watched "Monsters Inc." last night. Watch it -- I'm sure you'll love it as much as I did.

I've been working on a new site. It's an online album of all the photos on this site. It's still under construction, but you can check out what's been done here:

November 5, 2001 - I need sympathy. I need lots of sympathy. I just went through the most hellish driving day in my life. God, I hope there aren't more like this.
Incident #1: First off, it was a foggy morning. I dropped Joy off at her school. Instead of making my usual U-turn, I decided to keep going, thinking I would eventually exit the campus and then just circle around it till I got to the same street where I entered the campus. Sounds logical, right? Little did I know...that as soon as I turned left at the intersection...I'd be entering -- the freeway. Man, I was so lost -- and pretty scared I'd stay that way. Plus, I have never driven freeway by myself. The last time was when I was still taking driving lessons -- and I had my instructor with me then. This time, I was alone. I figured the best thing to do was exit the freeway ASAP. I was thinking of calling home and asking for directions, but there was also a part of me that cringed at the thought of admitting what a stupid mistake I'd made. Then I saw a sign that said "Freeway Entrance -- Long Beach." It seemed to be the best bet, so I went back on the freeway. I thought, As soon as I see the name of a familiar street, I'm getting off. So I got off the freeway, turned right at the next corner and -- what do you know? -- I'm back where I started. Oh well...I was able to find my way from there.
Incident #2: My grandmother asked me to drive her to the Filipino supermarket. As I was turning right to enter the parking lot, I sort of bumped another car. I just didn't see it pull up beside me. We got into the parking lot to inspect the damage. Fortunately, there wasn't much. I'm so glad I wasn't going faster. I apologized like mad, and the other driver (a pregnant blonde who looked like she was in her late 20's) said it was no big deal. There were just a couple of scratches.
Incident #3: On my way home from work, I'm about to U-turn when I see the flashing lights of a fire truck. Naturally I stop to let it go by. I make my U-turn and am about to turn right at the next corner when I notice again the flashing lights of the fire truck, this time on the other side of the road (to my left). I wait -- as I'm supposed to -- for the fire truck to go on its way. I see it turning right. I figure it will take the turn I'd been planning to take. But no -- it's making a U-turn and I'm right in its path. I'm looking at a close-up of the front of a fire truck and I'm thinking -- Why me? Luckily, there were no cars behind me so I was able to reverse enough so that the fire truck could complete its U-turn.
And there you have it. The worst day in my driving history, second only to the time I backed out of the driveway straight into my neighbor's pickup parked across the street.

November 2, 2001 - I got a job! As of today, I'm working part-time at Kumon, an educational center for kids. All I had to do was correct papers and listen to kids read aloud. Honestly, how hard is that? I had fun! The time flew by fairly quickly. It feels good to have work you both enjoy and are capable of doing.
I am so psyched about this job. I was so worried I'd end up stressed out, working in some fast food joint, listening to customers complain about slow service and wrong orders. Working at Kumon is so much better. Of course, I can't expect all days to be like today. But I did have fun. As long as there's always something to do, and I know what I'm doing, I won't feel as though the time were dragging. Plus, it's good to have my cousin Edalynn around. She started work at Kumon same time as I did.
Of course, it's nice to have a source of income, even if it's only minimum wage. Still, an hour's work is worth about half an hour of phone time with Ferdie, so I can't complain.
I had some pictures developed, but they're not scanned yet. There are shots of me and the first mackerel I caught, pics of my class's artwork, and pics of me and my cousins at Knott's Scary Farm. I'll post them as soon as I can borrow someone's scanner.

October 31, 2001 - Happy Halloween! Today I've been making up for several years' worth of lost Halloweens. I haven't really celebrated it since I was about ten years old. You know, dressing up in a costume, going trick-or-treating...the whole bit. Halloween just isn't a big deal in the Philippines. All Saints' Day takes priority among Filipinos. Now that I'm here, it's nice to be able to take part in Halloween, though I'm too old for the really fun parts.
Pumpkins were being sold at the grocery store at three pumpkins for $10. My sister and I bought a pumpkin carving kit with patterns and everything. We spent last night carving our very first jack o'lanterns. It was a lot harder and messier than I thought it would be. Who would've thought it would take two hours? It was worth it, though. They look great. Joy's jack o'lantern has a cat face while mine is a skeleton. I'll post pictures if they come out clear.
We used the jack o'lanterns to create a sort of path up our driveway leading to our front door. We lit them as soon as it turned dark. The sun set pretty early, around 5:30 pm. There was a full moon out to make the setting perfect. I heard it was the first full moon during Halloween in forty (?) years.
People started ringing our doorbell asking for candy at six. My cousin Elton showed up in a vampire costume. There was a girl dressed as someone from the 1950's, another dressed as a jungle amazon, another as a fairy....but I think the best costume I saw was on a guy who was wearing an afro wig, huge sunglasses, and an Elvis-type jumpsuit.
The trick-or-treating stopped at eight-thirty. That's much earlier than the past few years. And I noticed that there weren't as many trick-or-treaters as there were in years past. Everyone's just being extra cautious these days. I understand that.

October 17, 2001 - I've become a big fan of classic movies. I've been interested in them before, but ever since I started taking my Film class I've renewed my enthusiasm for them.
Joy introduced me to "Sabrina" (starring Audrey Hepburn) and "It's A Wonderful Life" (that Christmas favorite directed by Frank Capra and starring Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed). Last week, I borrowed "Little Women" (the old version with Elizabeth Taylor playing Amy), "The Shop Around the Corner" (the original "You've Got Mail"), and "When Harry Met Sally" (not really a classic, but a good movie) from the library. I enjoyed them all very much.
This afternoon, I watched Frank Capra's "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington." Jimmy Stewart gave an extraordinary performance. His Senate address was really something. I think he was nominated for an Oscar, but I don't know if he won. It seems Jimmy Stewart is starring in a majority of the films I've seen lately -- "It's A Wonderful Life," "Rear Window," "The Shop Around the Corner," "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington." He has an honest, appealing quality about him, which I'm sure made him very popular during his time.
Today, my Film class watched Stanley Kubrick's "Dr. Strangelove...or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb." I was up late last night working on my post for our online discussion forum, so I fell asleep during the first half of the film. It'll be all right -- I can borrow the tape from the library and watch it at my leisure.
In Music class tomorrow, I have to sing "Somewhere" (from "West Side Story") in front of my classmates. Solo, unfortunately. Any changes in weather tomorrow may be caused by yours truly. =)
Anyways, I'm doing all right healthwise. The threat of bioterrorism in the form on Anthrax has been causing a lot of fear. It's gotten so that we open the mail outside. And we do so while wearing latex gloves. We're being careful. But it would be really nice to be able to do something as simple as opening a letter without being afraid.

October 15, 2001 - Last Friday, I went with Joy and a bunch of cousins to Knott's Scary Farm. We arrived there past 7pm and dark had already fallen. The lines to the ticket booths were very long, but then lines are always long at amusement parks. It's always better to buy the tickets in advance from Ticketmaster or wherever. Security was tighter than usual, but it's nowhere near what it's like in airports.
There were so many people, all in the mood to be terrified out of their wits. The atmosphere was eerie from the dark and the dry ice mist, yet light from everyone's excitement. "Monsters" (disguised staff) were scattered throughout the park, trying to scare tourists at every opportunity.
We went through countless mazes. To me, they didn't really seem like mazes. They felt more like long passageways with ghouls, werewolves, vampires, etc. jumping at you around every corner. I was reminded of a "haunted house" I went through in high school. Anyways, my favorite maze was the one featuring the clowns. There were certain sections lit with black light and it was fun to see white things (teeth, shoelaces, shirts, pants) glow in the dark.
I tried funnel cake for the first time. It's a little hard to describe. It's sort of a cross between a waffle and a pretzel and you can choose what fruit toppings you want. Strawberry preserves went on mine. And milk was the perfect complement.
I only went on one ride -- Log Jammer. A mild roller coaster in the water with a drop at the end. I would've liked to go on more, but I'm afraid my feet couldn't hold up. I got tired of standing in line.
Joy and I weren't frightened at Knott's. We felt too jaded. And we were kept busy watching out for our little cousins, who'd run away every time a monster went, "Boo!" Plus, I was fascinated by the costumes and the horror effects. I've spent too much time analyzing films and the like. Am I getting too old for this sort of thing? Maybe.

October 7, 2001 - It's a beautiful day today. I was able to sleep in and I'll be going to church later this evening. It's hard to believe that as I type this there are military strikes going on in Afghanistan.
I woke up to the news that USA and Britain have bombed camps in what I'm afraid will be the start of a long war. It's supposed to be a fight against the Osama bin Laden, the Taliban and the al-Qaida. I'm worried that people will mistakenly believe it's a war of Christianity vs. Islam. How long before this is all over?

I added a few pictures to "Friends Page 2," so you may want to check that out. I also did my best to correct all the errors I found in my new format. If you see anything that seems off, let me know, and I'll try to fix it when I can.

October 2, 2001 - Added the "Stateside Photos" page. Check it out and tell me what you think of the pictures.
I've also changed "Pacey's Pond." I'll be adding more to it when I can.
Happy Birthday, Kaye! Hope you had a great day.
I've started submitting my job applications. I have no idea when I'll actually be getting a job, but at least now I've done something about it. I'd like to join the world of the employed as soon as possible. Wish me luck!

September 21, 2001 - I watched parts of President Bush's speech when it was replayed on the news last night. It seems almost unreal somehow.

I was about 10 years old during the Gulf War. I didn't know exactly what was going on but I knew enough to make me apprehensive. I remember wondering why there weren't any cartoons showing on TV, all channels were covering news of the war progress. This was all happening, and yet it didn't really affect me directly. To me at 10 years old, all that mattered was home, school, and TV. The words "economy," "terrorism," and even "war" had no real meaning for me. Talks of war make me very nervous now that I'm older and better understand what's going on.

I wonder how long this will last and what's going to happen. How will our lives be changed by this? It's already obvious that the economy and the airline industry has taken a beating. What more will be affected?

All this has reminded me about how precious life is. It has reminded me how important God, family, and friends are. I have a loving family and wonderful friends. I share a special relationship with a man I adore. Of these, I regret nothing. I hope you can say the same.

September 14, 2001 - The terrorist attack on America is all that's on anybody's mind right now. I haven't been able to write about it until today because it took some time for me to cope with it.
I woke up at 6:30 am on Tuesday, September 11, 2001 to the voice of Rick Dees announcing the news that hijacked planes had been flown directly into the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. I didn't believe it at first. I wanted to believe it was another of his usual jokes. I kept listening as I prepared to go to school. When I went downstairs for breakfast, Mom had the TV on with video of the World Trade Center engulfed in flames and smoke.
I drove to school with a riot of emotions. I felt shocked, devastated, angry, and even afraid. Throughout the rest of the day, all I could think was "Are we next?"
The first thing I did when I got home was call up Letlet, since I knew she worked in New York. She told me that MyJo and Eloise, who lives in downtown Manhattan, both called her to let her know they're fine. Eloise would be staying with Letlet that night because she couldn't go back to Manhattan for the time being.
You may or may not know this, but my mom was scheduled to go to the Philippines last Sunday. She canceled her flight because Dad came down with pneumonia. He's doing much better now, by the way. Thank God Mom stayed safe at home with us.
The past few days have been very emotionally draining. This is such a terrible time here. The radio stations and TV channels are saturated with news and information on the terrorist attacks, so I'm constantly reminded of the tragedies. I see on TV victims' families mourning their losses, others desperately hoping their loved ones will be found. On the radio, I hear recordings of some victims' last phone calls to their families. My heart is aching. Tears come to eyes throughout the day.
Last night, a helicopter was circling above our neighborhood. I became apprehensive because I'd thought that all flights were grounded. Joy assured me that it has happened before and it was nothing to worry about. Still, I couldn't completely relax.
This morning, my family went to church. I saw a lot of red, white, and blue in the clothing of our fellow church-goers. After that part of the Mass where we turn to each other to say, "Peace be with you" those words kept running through my head. Peace. If only everyone would only wish each other peace. The final song of the Mass was "America the Beautiful" and I was reduced to tears.
However, I am comforted to see how people are rushing to help out in any way they can. The spirit of patriotism is getting stronger as the days go by.
There's not much I can do. I can't donate blood for another 10 months, because I just arrived from the Philippines. The hospital is being careful about spreading malaria. If I had a job and were earning money, I'd donate it to the Red Cross or some other organization for those who need it.
For now, all I can do is pray and go on with my life. The general consensus is to show these terrorists that America has not been defeated by evil, that we won't let it stop us from living.
America will survive this tragedy. God bless America.

September 8, 2001 - Finally -- FINALLY! -- I was able to update my homepage. Thank you, Uncle Edward, for upgrading Joy's computer. And thank you, Joy, for being so generous with it.
It's been two months since my last update. It will take too much time and space to write everything that's happened since then, so I'll just give some highlights.
Getting here to California from the Philippines was a trial. Immigration problems at the gate made me reschedule my flight. Fortunately for me, JP was also in Manila to help me out. When I left the day after, three hours into the flight, our plane had to go back to Manila. Eventually, I arrived in LAX, where my family was waiting to welcome me.
Two weeks of jet lag and I slowly adjusted to being back here and living with my family again. However, I'm still not used to the streets/locations when I'm driving and some people weird me out with the way they dress and talk.
At present, I'm taking some classes at a community college, looking for a part-time job, and trying to figure out my future plans.
I'm also on a horrendous diet. I hate it because I'm not allowed any starches or sweets -- things I crave constantly. But if I lose 40 pounds, it'll be worth eating all this grapefruit.
At the right is a picture of my friends seeing me off in Manila. The other is of me with my relatives. It was taken at my niece's birthday party, just a few days after I arrived here. I slept through half the party because of my jet lag. Everyone understood -- they'd all been there once.
Anyways, I'll keep updating with major news as long as this computer and Joy's patience hold out. Take care, all!

I leave for the States on Tuesday, July 17. I'll miss everyone. Don't worry, I'll keep in touch. I'll also keep updating this site as often as I can.

July 8, 2001 - Updated "Friends Page 2" with new pictures.

July 7, 2001 - Thirdy's family had a dinner party at their house to celebrate Thirdy's birthday and my departure. (I get TWO parties!) Thank you to everyone who came. And thanks most especially to Tita Merna, who organized the affair. I had a lot of fun. We all did. Pictures to be posted soon.

July 6, 2001 - Ma'am GI and the rest of the Teatro, Sining, atbp. had a little despedida (farewell party) for me. We reminisced about our theater experiences the whole evening.

June 23, 2001 - Watched "The Vagina Monologues" at Plazoleta Gay (did I spell that right?), Hotel del Rio, with JP and Thirdy. My batchmate and fellow Teatro member Faith was one of the leads. It was an excellent show. So excellent, in fact, that we're going to watch it again on the 30th at Cairo, Amigo Plaza, and bring more people to share the "vagina" experience. The tickets are definitely worth their price of P150.
I'm dragging Ferdie there on Saturday. =)

June 21, 2001 - Thirdy came to the house today. We watched videos and planned the guest list for my farewell/his birthday party on July 4.
I'll be checking on one-way flights to LA at the travel agency.

June 20, 2001 - Mayra arrived from Brunei last Sunday. She'll be here maybe a month. I'm glad I got to see her one more time before I leave. She, JP, Brein, Khayle and I had dinner at Al Dente to catch up. Then we had dessert at Amigo Terrace, where I discovered Häagen-Dazs ice cream and Earl Gray tea in Iloilo. We'll have lunch again on Saturday so Veron and the rest can join us. It's the only time they're free now that classes have started.

June 14, 2001 - Added the long-overdue "Puerto Princessa" page. Go check it out.

June 13, 2001 - Ferdie and I watched "Pearl Harbor." I sobbed pathetically, emotional baby that I am.

June 9, 2001 - Happy birthday, Letlet! June seems to be the month of birthdays among my friends. =)

June 6, 2001 - Happy birthday, Mavel!

June 5, 2001 - Happy Birthday, Ferdie! We celebrated with a birthday lunch at the German restaurant Bavaria.

June 4, 2001 - As Jason arrives from the States, Liza leaves for Manila.

June 2, 2001 - We had a little potluck picnic in my living room. Afterwards, we played billiards at Balls. I'll post pictures as soon as I can have them scanned (through the kindness of Veron and Jason).

June 1, 2001 - Ferdie's home! I missed him so much.

May 25, 2001 - Happy birthday, JP!
We celebrated by having dinner at Nes & Tat's, coffee at Al Dente, and dancing at Bwana.

May 22, 2001 - Igbaras fiesta. I drove the gang there. We ate at JP's house (where I discovered the delights of goat and native chocolate) and Jason's house.
We got the chance to watch the video of the "First of May."

May 18, 2001 - Check the "First of May" page. I just finished it.
I was working on a video project as a substitute for JP, who had prior commitments. I was production assistant, cameraman, and actress at different moments. It was an exhausting past three days, but I'm still alive. It was a promotional video for Save the Children.
A few days ago, Ferdie went to Cebu to visit his cousin Michael. Today, they went to Davao, and soon they'll proceed to Manila. He'll be back on the 27th. I miss him.

May 9, 2001 - I'm trying to update my page with new pictures. It'll take some time, though. The First of May page is still unfinished. I'll try to finish everything ASAP.

May 1, 2001 - Happy 25th Anniversary, Tito Manny and Tita Marj! Renewal of vows at Sta. Maria Parish and a dinner reception at Punta Villa. Pictures soon to be posted.

April 30, 2001 - Happy Birthday, Kirt! Hope you're enjoying Cebu!

April 29, 2001 - Fiesta in Molo. Went to Brein's house with Veron, Grace, and Jen. Ferdie followed with Kirt and Tisha a little later.
Khayle has become unbelievably handsome. He has mile-long lashes and the most adorable smile. I'll soon post pictures to prove it!
He's also pretty active. He likes to walk, dance, and throw things backwards. Watch out!

April 28, 2001 - Kirt and Tisha arrived from Manila to spend the weekend in Iloilo. Sort of a working vacation.

April 19, 2001 - I know I haven't been updating much. But, honestly, nothing much has happened. I'm just taking care of certain tasks I was assigned and working out when I can drag myself out of bed.
I did get to watch "Save the Last Dance" yesterday. I really liked it.

April 17, 2001 - Happy Birthday, Jen!

April 16, 2001 - Jen treated us to a movie, "The Wedding Planner," and ice cream after. An advance birthday celebration.

April 10, 2001 - 2nd day at Winner's Gym. My body's aching all over. I could sure use a good massage.

April 9, 2001 - First day at Winner's Gym. Why did I let Veron and Mom talk me into this? Will this really work? All I want is to have the body I had three years ago. Is that too much to hope for?

April 8, 2001 - Went to the airport VERY early in the morning to see Eloise off. I hope she has a fun time in the States. I bet she'll enjoy state-hopping. Maybe she'll even visit Letlet and our other friends.

April 7, 2001 - Ran into Eloise at SM City. She's going to the States tomorrow. She'll be staying with her aunt in Florida indefinitely.

April 6, 2001 - Ferdie and Mavel came over to help Mom pack all her stuff. We had the lasagna and steak left over from last night -- yum! Then we dropped off Mom at the airport. She should arrive in LA in about 13 hours.

April 5, 2001 - Veron convinced me to go to tae bo classes with her at Winner's Gym, Molo. We will start on Monday.
Had a little incident with the car when I was backing out of the driveway. I wish I'd been more careful. But at least no one was hurt. Dents can be repaired.

April 2, 2001 - Got back from Palawan. It's tough readjusting to Iloilo life. I miss the peace and quiet of Palawan.
Anyways, I promise to post pics and a description of our trip as soon as I can as well as pics of our graduation and graduation ball.

March 29, 2001 - Departure for Palawan. Mom, Ferdie and I will be staying at the Princessa Holiday Resort for a weekend of swimming and relaxing.

March 26, 2001 - We had our graduation ball at Four Seasons Hotel. The teachers had hired five dance instructors to make sure we all had a great time. I haven't danced like that in years! Swing cha-cha, boogie....Oh...my poor aching feet....

March 25, 2001 - I have just been welcomed to the world of the unemployed. :) It feels good to know that I don't have to worry about classes or anything for a few glorious months.
It was really hot at first -- the water-selling vendors made a lot of money. I came prepared. Since the graduation took about five to six hours, I took it upon myself to bring a stock of candy, water, and reading material.
Sharlene Gotico was the Mass Comm's cum laude. Unfortunately, Ms. Chin announced her as being AB English and didn't correct her mistake. Oh well...
The whole thing ended around eight o'clock. I heard that last year it ended past eleven so it's all good. Auntie Lani (Ferdie's mom) invited us to dinner at Al Dente. JP also came and we enjoyed a delicious meal.

March 22, 2001 - We were going to go swimming at Metropolis, but the lure of SM City proved too much. I shopped for shoes, made arrangements for my cross-stitch to be framed, and watched "Hannibal" with Mom, Ferdie, and JP. Ewww....I hate gross movies. I wasn't even a big fan of "Silence of the Lambs."

March 21, 2001 - Manang Sheila and Manong Gary are here! Hehehehe, I wonder how everyone reacted when they arrived for a surprise visit.

March 20, 2001 - Having my dresses made -- one for graduation on Sunday, March 25, and one for the graduation ball on Monday night, the 26th. It's pretty last minute so I feel sorry for the seamstress who has her work cut out for her.

March 19, 2001 - Mom got to see me VJ for the first time. I think she enjoyed seeing her daughter on TV.

March 17, 2001 - Picked up Mom at the airport. I thought she'd rest after all that travelling, but she went to SM City. There was a big sale -- everyone was there. My mom and Ferdie's mom got to meet for the first time. We kept running into people we know....relatives, classmates, friends.
Mom got to have the batchoy she was craving. And I got "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" as a graduation gift from her!

March 14, 2001 - Updated "Friends Page 2" with more pics.
I'm pretty much done with all requirements for school. No exams or anything left to keep me busy. All I have left is work at the CPU Alumni Channel and plans for our graduation ball.
Yehey...my mom's arriving in Iloilo this Saturday!

March 3, 2001 - JP left for Manila today. She'll be back after a couple of weeks. She's just taking a little time for herself.
Added another pic each to "Friends Page 2" and "Cattlerium '96."

March 2, 2001 - Happy Birthday, Kevin Piamonte (director of "Anne Frank" and many other notable plays)!

March 1, 2001 - Would you believe I watched "The Diary of Anne Frank" a THIRD time? And there were STILL tears in my eyes at the end.

Feb. 27, 2001 - Added more pics to "Friends Page 2" and my old high school pic to "Cattlerium '96."

Feb. 24, 2001 - Watched "The Diary of Anne Frank" again. It's still excellent.

Feb. 23, 2001 - Watched another show with JP. This time, a play by Stage 1 of University of San Agustin, "Pitik Bulag." I was sobbing by the end. Partly because the acting was brilliant and partly because it was Stage 1's final performance together since many members are graduating this March.

Feb. 22, 2001 - Watched "Cast Away" -- "Survivor" people eat your hearts out!

Feb. 21, 2001 - Went with JP to UPV to watch the Ilonggo Dance Group. Some anniversary concert. Pretty good.

Feb. 16, 2001 - Watched "The Diary of Anne Frank" at CAP Auditorium. If you get a chance to watch it, please do. It's excellent.

Feb. 14, 2001 - Happy Valentine's Day!
CPU Alumni Channel was kept busy with all the love songs and dedications.

Feb. 13, 2001 - I was running out of space on the "Friends" page so I added "Friends Page 2." I hope this will cut down on the downloading time. New pics! The link is below.
Hope you all have a romantic Valentine's Day tomorrow!

Feb. 11, 2001 - Dedication service at the University Church for those who just might graduate this March. Since we were all dressed up, we went to a studio and had our pictures taken afterwards.

Feb. 9, 2001 - Rather an exhausting and busy day. I had to VJ during the Career fair, asking visiting high school students if they'd like to earn a little cash by singing videoke.
Then we rushed to SM City to eat a quick lunch and watch Filipino short films. And then it was back to school for more Videoke By Request, plus a dedication ceremony of the newly covered Alumni Promenade Concert Park, featuring Atty. Perfecto Yasay Jr. as guest speaker.

Feb. 7, 2001 - The start of the three-day Career Fair, wherein exhibits and speeches are supposed to entice senior high school students to come study at CPU as soon as they graduate.
It's also the start of a three-day (or is it four?) film festival "Pelikula at Lipunan." Our class was required to watch the Ilonggo short films. I didn't understand the films. Surprisingly, it wasn't the language barrier (the dialogue was fairly simple), it was the "artistry" of the film. I mean, I sometimes had no idea what point the director was trying to make or what the plot even was.

Feb. 5, 2001 - Happy Anniversary, Ferdie! It's been the best two years of my life too.

Feb. 3, 2001 - Picked up the yearbook pics! I had them scanned. They're on the "Friends page 2" page. Link at the bottom.

Feb. 2, 2001 - Stayed home instead of contending with the hear and traffic to celebrate the Jaro fiesta.

Click to view larger size

Click to view larger size

Feb. 1, 2001 - Jaro fiesta tomorrow. If I get an invitation, then I'm definitely going out to eat all I can -- and, believe me, that's a lot! Traditions need to be kept going.
Tomorrow is also Groundhog's Day. It doesn't mean much in the Philippines. But for those of you who do celebrate it, I wish you a happy Groundhog's Day.

Jan. 26, 2001 - Dinagyang is just around the corner. I'll probably stay home and avoid the crowds. That is, unless I'm requested to help cover the event for the CPU Alumni Channel.

Jan. 24, 2001 - A box of goodies from Mom arrived. The refrigerator is now packed with cookies and chocolates. To save me from overindulging I'd better give some -- but not all! -- of the chocolates away.

Jan. 20, 2001 - Watched Erap leaving Malacañang on TV. Now that Gloria's in charge, will things improve in this country?

Jan. 19, 2001 - School was canceled today. A lot of "indignation rallies" against Erap and "mourning the death of democracy." I prefer not to get involved in stuff like that. Only thing I liked was that the exchange rate actually went up to P55!
I've been having fun with my VJing duty at the station. It's getting easier each time. Naturally, some callers are easier to talk to than others. It's surprising how many people have nothing better to do than to watch the CPU Alumni Channel and dial the hotline number innumerable times just to request songs and sing them live.

Jan. 18, 2001 - Happy Birthday, Lala!

Jan. 15, 2001 - I added a pics of Trish and Kaye, my friends in Manila, to the "Friends" page. Click on the link above to view them.
I also made a new site of JP's photography. It's still a rough draft, but if you'd like to check it out, click on the link below.

Photography by JP

Jan. 12, 2001 - I posted the pictures we had taken at Episode Studio. Click on the "Friends" link above to check them out.

Jan. 11, 2001 - I made my VJing debut today. Anyone who wants to see me embarrass myself on television, tune in to CPU Alumni Channel, Cable Star 25 every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday 4-5pm. Go ahead and laugh your asses off!

Jan. 4, 2001 - Heiress left this morning for Manila. Oh well...there's always texting to keep us in touch.
Got together with Brein to exchange Christmas gifts. Had lunch with Jen. Then Brein, Ferdie, and I played 9-ball the whole afternoon.
Jen lent me her copy of "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban." I read it in one sitting. It's great. Now all I need is to read "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire." Someone please lend it to me!

Jan. 3, 2001 - Today was the first day of classes. Not much of one, considering none of my teachers showed up. For Heiress's last night in Iloilo, we (me, JP, Veron, Jason, Jen, Grace, and Bong) went to Hafa Adai (http://hafaadai.homestead.com) for drinks. Then we had dinner at Chow King.

Jan. 2, 2001 - Kayla's sick. Took her to the vet. Poor dog. Hope she feels better.
Liza went back to Manila. Thirdy, Veron, Heiress, and I saw her off at the airport.

Dec. 30, 2000 - Had a fun time playing 9-ball pool with Ferdie, Thirdy, and Heiress until Ferdie had to go. Then the three of us who were left had lunch at Chicken Ranch. Pretty good chicken. I especially liked the onion rings. Then met up with JP so we could hang out at Hafa Adai. (http://hafaadai.homestead.com).

Dec. 29, 2000 - We finally went swimming as planned. Ferdie and I were the only ones to actually get in the water though. We swam until it started raining. Then we (me, Ferdie, Liza, Thirdy, and Mavel) picked up Heiress from her house and went over to my place to talk. You know, bonding. :)

Dec. 28, 2000 - Ferdie and I were supposed to go swimming at Metropolis today with Liza, Heiress, JP, Veron, Jason, Grace, Jen, and Brein, but the place was reserved for a party so we just ended up hanging out at Kenny Rogers. Still had fun though. Wish you could see Khayle. He's grown pretty big. It was the first time Heiress and Liz got to meet him.
Classes will resume on Jan. 3. (I don't want to think about it -- Christmas break seems all too short!)

Dec. 25, 2000 - I spent Christmas with cartoon network. I did get invited to other people's houses, but Id rather spend Christmas at home (since I couldn't have my first choice of spending it in the States). So I just watched cartoons. Mind you -- it was by choice! It was the first time I got to watch "The Grinch who stole Christmas (original cartoon version)" and some other Hanna Barbera specials. I had fun. :-) My favorite is "Yogi's first Christmas." can't explain why, I just love it! I haven't missed it for three years in a row now.
I bought Auntie Elvie a wallet and Maisie a watch for Christmas. We had Christmas dinner of spaghetti. Nothing elaborate, but it was nice.

Dec. 23, 2000 - I worked as a talent coordinator during the CPU Alumni Channel's live coverage of the "Kantahan sa Alumni Garden". Although I used to be there during previous live coverage and productions, I wasn't given much to do. This was the first time I was actually given some responsibilities. I mean, I don't really mind work so much as long as I know exactly what I'm supposed to do, you know? I really enjoyed it.
Dec. 20, 2000 - Heiress arrived from Manila yesterday. So she, Veron, Jason, Grace, Jen, Ferdie and I had lunch together at Sbarro today and then had our pictures taken at Episode studio. Will post them ASAP.
Liza will arrive tomorrow. No word on Brein.
I haven't really thought about how I'll spend Christmas. Heck, our house isn't even decorated or anything. I guess it just doesn't feel like Christmas. I had much more fun last year. (Click on "Christmas Break 1999-2000" link above for details.)
I've finished working on an angel cross-stitch. It looks great! She's wearing a violet and cream gown decorated with glass beads and roses and she's playing a violin.
Puppy update: Lyka went back to her former owner. And unfortunately, Sammy died. I think she was just too little. We're trying to take extra care of Boo-Boo -- he's rather weak and shies away from everything. But I think every day he lives is progress, don't you agree? Kayla, meanwhile, is thriving.
Ferdie, Mavel, and I are working on a video documentary of the history of the Tamayo family. It will be shown during the golden wedding anniversary of Jorge and Perfecta Tamayo. Pray it gets finished in time!

Dec. 14, 2000 - I'm so glad classes are over! Days are filled with Christmas parties and trying to find affordable yet thoughtful gifts. Any suggestions on what I should get Ferdie? Arghhh... Finding the perfect gift can be extremely frustrating!


Dec. 10, 2000 - At the left is a picture of JP. It's a publicity photo from her latest play "The Idiot and the Oddity." It's a brilliant script, a parody of mythology set in the 70s. I got to watch during critics' night. Not only do I get in for free (being JP's guest), but I don't have to contend with crowds. Plus, my humble opinion is sought in improving the production. :-)

Dec. 5, 2000 - The past few days have been fiesta at Sta. Barbara. I went to Ferdie's house yesterday and he took me to the carnival at the plaza. We rode the ferris wheel. Unfortunately, it started to rain. I got so drenched I had to borrow some of Ferdie's clothes to wear on the way home.
Went to Sta. Barbara again today for lunch. This time I brought Mavel and Glorene with me. There was so much food. We had a great time just hanging out and eating.
Tonight, we'll be going to Colegio del Sagrado Corazon de Hesus. We're required to watch a production of "The King and I" for our advertising class. It'll be considered our prelim exam.

Dec. 3, 2000 - We have another puppy. Aughhhh!!!!! Our house is being overrun by puppies! This one was given by a neighbor. A girl, golden-brown. Named her Lyka. I'll have to look into immunization for all of them (Kayla, Sammy Rose, Boo-boo, and Lyka). Ferdie says I should wait till they are at least three months old.

***I will post pictures of the puppies as soon as I get JP to take some and have them scanned.

Nov. 29, 2000 - College Schools Press Conference. I was lucky -- I won 3rd place in News writing (English) and 1st place in Copyreading/Headline writing.
My fellow staffers won various awards and so did our magazine.

Nov. 25, 2000 - My aunt came home with two more puppies, later named Sammy Rose and Boo-boo.

Nov. 23, 2000 - Ferdie gave me a puppy, who I named Kayla. She looks kinda wolfish. Her breed is supposedly Askal (asong kalye or street dog).

Nov. 22, 2000 - It's been so hot, I've been going on an ice cream binge.

Nov. 20, 2000 - Christian Emphasis Week at my school, which means shorter classes to make time for convocations. I never attend the convocations. I have nothing against them, they're just not for me.

Nov. 19, 2000 - Had my picture taken for my yearbook. I wish I hadn't cut my hair, but what's done is done. I'll post the picture once I get it -- IF it turns out well.

Nov. 17, 2000 - I'm almost done with my engineering documentary. I will start editing next week on the tuberculosis documentary. I'm halfway done with my radio mag on asthma and I will have my yearbook picture taken this weekend. Whew! Life is hectic.
I borrowed the first two of the four Harry Potter books and I read the first already. It was excellent. No wonder there's such a craze.

Nov. 9, 2000 - Watched "Bedazzled." It's a pretty funny movie.

Nov. 8, 2000 - JP won five awards for her photographs, including 1st place in the "Nature" category for her shot of Julius sitting in a tree texting on his cell phone. Congrats, Jayps!
EXCEL TV will be revived, now known as CPU Alumni Channel, Channel 25 of CableStar. This means that instead of having internship at other stations, my classmates and I will be working at CAC 25. I've asked to be assigned to Programming/Traffic in an effort to reduce stress.

Nov. 6, 2000 - First day of classes. My Filipino class might be dissolved from lack of students.
Checked out JP's photo exhibit/contest at Marymart mall.

Nov. 4, 2000 - Cut my hair in preparation for future yearbook pictorial.

Nov. 2, 2000 - Drove to Dingle to light candles at my grandfather's grave. First time I did any long distance driving.

Nov. 1, 2000 - Kermit Channel is gone! And with it, "Road to Avonlea" and "Christy." Noooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!